The kind of headlines by foreign media also incline more toward the opposition, a platform now fully-utilised by Pakatan Rakyat to gain world sympathy and support for their only legitimate mission - to 'crown' Anwar as prime minister.
To them, no law binds them at the moment. The only law is in Anwar's hand, and that explains why they couldnt be bothered to give a 10-day notice to the police before organising such rallies.
Nik Nazmi case is well expected. In fact, it was well-planned, and they wouldn't mind if more are prosecuted because the whole world is with them. Its the attention that Anwar wants, and he is getting it.
The Wall Street Journal reports:
A fresh row began to brew between Malaysia’s government and its critics after an opposition lawmaker was charged with failing to provide police sufficient warning for a rally that drew tens of thousands of people.The Business Standard:
Nik Nazmi Nik Ahmad, communications director in opposition leader Anwar Ibrahim’s People Justice Party blamed the government for selective prosecution, and said the charge undermines Prime Minister Najib Razak's call for national reconciliation after his ruling National Front won the May 5 elections by the thinnest margin ever.
“I don’t think this is a good sign of the new regime that we see here in Malaysia,” Mr. Nik Nazmi said.
A Malaysian opposition leader has been charged under the Peaceful Assembly Act for failing to give police the required 10-day notice for holding a post general election rally near here to protest against vote rigging.The Oye! Times of Canada:
Nik Nazmi, 31, the PKR lawmaker for Seri Setia state, was charged in the Petaling Jaya Sessions court.
Authorities had declared the May 8 opposition rally, attended by more than 50,000 supporters, illegal. The rally was called by opposition leader Anwar Ibrahim to protest against the poll results.
PKR communication director Nik Nazmi Nik Ahmad has been accused of breaking the law by organizing a post-poll rally at Kelana Jaya Stadium on May 8. The 31-year-old was charged at the Sessions Court on Friday.There are more of these.
However, no foreign media published anything about the calls made by several senior politicians and Anwar's ex-aides for such rallies to be put to a halt. Only local newspapers carry it, hence giving a perception that there are foreign powers behind the opposition's thrust to overthrow Najib's Barisan Nasional government.
A New Straits Times story about Pakatan Rakyat's 'Malaysian spring' was not picked up by any foreign news agency.
Former DAP vice-chairman Tunku Abdul Aziz Tunku Ibrahim yesterday revealed that the opposition had long intended to initiate a 'Malaysian spring' to overthrow the government through street rallies. They had planned to create chaos since last year’s Bersih rally and was now building up to nationwide protests.
The former senator said he had evidence to back his claim in the form of an email which was sent out by DAP’s chief of staff Foo Yueh Chuan to all central executive council members on April 26, 2012. In the email, Foo informed the recipients that she was coordinating the party members and leaders to participate in Bersih's sit-in rally at Stadium Merdeka on April 28 last year.
Such threats to the national security failed to gain world attention. If Malaysia succumbs to political chaos, they will have more opportunity to intervene in the country's domestic affairs and decide on its economy and social agenda, and of course its resources.
I hope Malaysians, especially those joining Pakatan realise this...