Friday, August 1, 2008

E-mail from Yasuo Fukuda's Cabinet

I have been receiving e-mails from the Japanese Cabinet and its Prime Minister – it started with Junichiro Koizumi 3 years ago – and now Yasuo Fukuda.

However, this latest mail really attracts my attention to the extent that I imagine it was written by Pak Lah instead, replacing the words Japan with Malaysia. Please read...

This is Yasuo Fukuda.

The rainy season has finally come to an end and the weather is heating up. This is the season when the rice paddies are a glistening green. Many students are parting ways for the summer holidays this week, but I am a little ahead of you this year, having taken my own summer holiday from the second half of last week.

About ten months have elapsed since September of last year, when I assumed the office of Prime Minister. The extraordinary Diet session went on past the year's end, and after its closing, there was only a brief, two-day interval before the opening of the ordinary Diet session.

After the enactment of the budget and the conclusion of the ordinary Diet session came the G8 Hokkaido Toyako Summit. With all that, the days have rushed by.

I believe that the staff of the Prime Minister's Office enjoyed a good period of rest during my brief holiday. On some occasions over the past ten months, they have been sacrificing their own holidays in the cause of their work.

In my case, even though I was on holiday, I, quite frankly, could not sit still when I began thinking about how I should tackle the policy issues that directly affect the people's lives, including the surge in the prices of gasoline and other fuels, and of foodstuffs and other household necessities, as well as social security-related issues, such as the shortage of doctors.

Yet, I came out of my six-day summer holiday, which included the three-day weekend, reinvigorated; I immediately began responding to policy issues by implementing emergency measures to cope with the surge in the price of crude oil, compiling the Five-Point Reassurance Plan, and drawing up an action plan for achieving a low-carbon society, among other measures.

"Should this autumn bring rain or storm, I know not; my duty for today is to weed the paddy field."

These are the words of Ninomiya Sontoku, of the Edo Period, who dedicated himself to revitalizing farming villages.




Thank You.


11 comments:

azlan said...

Hi Bro,

What happen to Rocky's and Tiger's blog. Couldn't access to their blogs. Operation aborted? I haven't heard any news that emergency has been declared...

bujai said...

bro,
that's the prob. remember what happened to TDM's blog last month or so?

still trying to get both of them

Anonymous said...

beautiful, bro.

hope paklah can write something like that, too

si pitak said...

wow, bro! japanese PM e-mailing you. no joke!

Anonymous said...

we are no difference from the japanese in terms of work ethic and culture. at least the japanese PM was generous to share what he thought of his country and people

kawan, wisma putra said...

i salute u, bro, for having such a connenction. keep it up. next time, we want to see more foreign leaders comments appearing on your blog

mail, solok duku said...

bujai, kau buleh cakap jopon ko?

handa kau, sampai pm jopon pun anta e-mel kek kau.

tabik tuan!

bujai said...

mail,

den buleh la ckp sikit2 yo.

watashi-yo anatano!

arigato gozaimas

My Raison D'etre said...

"Should this autumn bring rain or storm, I know not; my duty for today is to weed the paddy field."

Very poignant. Have you ever read kazuo Koike's "Lone Wolf and Cub"? One of its tale, the main character - a ronin - cast aside his sword (for a while, at least) to plant paddy.

He likens himself as something akin to tye black wind - a rare phenomena which leads to bumper harvets - when asked why he was doing something so rare for a Samurai, former or still.

The tale had some very deep, soul stirring excerpts which I enjoyed immensely.

Thank you for reminding me of this powerful impact of good postings.

Anonymous said...

its beautiful, bro. wonder who taught him english...

japanese embassy staff said...

fukuda is a true leader. we have known him for many years. unlike others, he takes the whole nation into his arm.

thank you for publishing it