Saturday, July 12, 2008

July 12, 1982 - I enter the Gulf War zone...

July 12 - I remember this date very well enough as today, in 1982, I was called up by my editor Adibah Amin to take up a 'small' assignment which was turned down by the senior reporters.

My mission - 3 weeks in Iraq to observe the Gulf War raging between two neighbouring countries of different Islamic factions, Iraq (Sunni) and Iran (Shiite).

I said yes without hesitation. Being young and 'gila-gila', I had my international passport (as a journalist) stamped-on with an Iraqi diplomatic special visa. That was my second overseas assignment, the first being a junket to Australia a few months earlier with Singapore Airlines.

I've heard about Utusan journalist Rosnah Majid being to Iraq a year before but never read any story about it, neither did I see any picture of it.
Iraqi ambassador to Malaysia then, Mr Mustafar al-Nakhshahbandi arranged everything (many thanks to him and the mission), including some Iraqi dinars.
That was the time I had missed Malaysia so much. That 3-week that ended up about 5 weeks was perhap the best physical and mental lessons I ever had....

Will continue...

2 comments:

hjamidon, bachok said...

bro, why not compile this priceless experience of yours into a book. it will be useful for journalism, now and after

gadis level 13 said...

assalamualaikum tuan,

saya penuntut sebaran am UITM. kami berharap agar tuan dapat menghasilkan sebarang manuskrip atau buku sebagai rujukan kepada pelajar seperti kami.

bidang kewartawanan perang memang masih asing bagi kita. dengan adanya coretan tuan mengenai pengalaman di medan perang, saya yakin ia dapat membantu meningkatkan tahap kewartawanan tanah air.