Friday, November 27, 2015

Dr M only says it now...

Of course I agree with what Dr Mahathir said - that no political party should rule forever, and we need a strong opposition for 'the check and balance.

However, a popular party or government deserves to cling on to that power, as demonstrated when he was in power for 22 long years. He had said many times that Umno and Barisan Nasional should get full support from the voters for being able to shape up the country and the rakyat.

Compared to the opposition whom he used to described as not having the package to rule the country, BN was accepted since the first general election after Independence.

But what he said today was an 'endorsement' for the loose-Pakatan Rakyat opposition to depose the ruling party in the 14th general election, latest to be held in 2018.
Former prime minister Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad said no political parties in this country should rule forever.
He also agreed that the opposition played a pivotal role in the checks and balances system.
Mahathir said today it would be best for a country to have only two political camps, or the people in this country would be divided and in the end no political parties could secure majority support to run the country.
He believed the bigger a political coalition the better it is. "If one party leaves, this coalition will still have the support of majority of voters and can still survive."
Easy for him to say that because he is no longer at the helm of the central administration. However, its his personal view...and I respect it.

If we talk corruption and abuse of power, it has been there since the early days, both in the ruling party and the opposition. We all are aware of that.

The only difference is that, there were no whistleblowers back then as compared to today. There was no social media for the rakyat to express dissatisfaction against the government before the new millennium and not many people dared to come forward with evidence because of the 'protection' given by top politicians.

Had the internet made its way during the early 1990s, I think Najib Razak would have been the 8th prime minister of Malaysia!

Ooppsss... PKR Youth chief, Nik Nazmi Nik Ahmad today warned the rakyat against getting fooled by Dr Mahathir Mohamad just because he was on a campaign to de-seat Prime Minister Najib Razak.
“We can thank him (Mahathir) for speaking out for freedom of speech, the supremacy of the rule of law and (against) corruption today, but we will not forget who crippled our democracy and who was responsible for the early scandals that affected our country.
“We will not forget who tortured and slandered (former Opposition leader) Anwar Ibrahim. We will not forget who the PM was when the rakyat was oppressed and demanding reformasi,” Nik Nazmi said in his speech at the PKR Youth congress today.
He added that Najib was born in an “abused democracy” that Mahathir himself had created.
I have to side Dr Mahathir in this matter. I believe Nik Nazmi was a toddler when Anwar was sent to prison. It wasn't Dr Mahathir who sacked Anwar from the government but the Cabinet. The court found him guilty and sent him to prison.
This PKR young leader must turn back the history pages and not making baseless allegations. And what is 'abuse democracy' he mentioned? Look at PKR itself and Pakatan Rakyat as a whole. What does he notice? A prudent democracy?

Thursday, November 26, 2015

Sabah bans Nurul, Tian Chua

Sabah state assembly passed a special motion to bar PKR vice presidents Nurul Izzah Anwar and Tian Chua from entering the state for meeting with self-styled Sulu princess Jacel Kiram in Manila earlier this month.

Sabah Barisan Nasional assemblymen fully backed the special motion tabled by Deputy Chief Minister Datuk Raymond Tan to censure the two MPs, whose meeting with Jacel was an affront to the sovereignty of Sabah.

Jacel's father, Jamalul Kiram III, had ordered his younger brother Agniemuide to launch an intrusion into Kg Tanduo in Lahad Datu in Feb 2013, where 10 policemen and soldiers were killed before the Sulu gunmen were flushed out by early April the same year.

Deputy Speaker Datuk Johnson Tee allowed the special motion as the issue was of public interest.

Tan, in his motion, also called for an investigation to be carried out and appropriate legal action to be taken against the two for meeting Jacel.

Chief Minister Datuk Musa Aman said that he would take note of the views presented by the members of the assembly before he decided on the appropriate action.

Tian Chuan was banned from entering Sabah in April 2013, while Nurul Izzah was briefly barred from entering in May 2013.

The power to bar anyone from the state lies in the hands of the Chief Minister who will have to make decision on the two.

Tian Chua, meanwhile claims that the Sabah state assembly's decision to ban him and Nurul Izzah Anwar from entering state is a purely political move.

He said the Barisan Nasional-led state assembly, which approved a special motion to bar the two PKR leaders on Thursday, had decided on punishment even before the duo were given a chance to defend themselves against the accusations levelled at them.

"We no doubt respect that Sabah and Sarawak governments have a right to restrict immigration, but that has to be for the purpose of protecting the security of their people.

"In this case, it is purely a political move and an abuse of power by the legislative majority in Sabah," he told reporters at the Dewan Rakyat on Thursday.

The Batu MP said that he expected Bukit Aman to call him up after Nurul Izzah to give his statement. He had yet to decide if he would do what Nurul Izzah did and sue those making wild accusations against them.

Britain rejects inquiry into 'Batang Kali massacre'

Britain's highest court on Wednesday rejected an appeal by relatives of 24 rubber plantation workers killed by British troops in Malaysia in 1948 for a public inquiry into the shootings.

Relatives of the workers have waged a decades-long fight for a probe into the so-called "Batang Kali massacre", which occurred on December 12, 1948, during the Malayan Emergency, when Commonwealth forces fought a communist-inspired revolt in the British colony.

Two judges originally ruled in 2012 that the government's refusals in 2010 and 2011 to hold an inquiry were "not unreasonable", a view upheld by the Court of Appeal last year.

In a final bid, the relatives -- Chong Nyok Keyu, Loh Ah Choi, Lim Kok and Wooi Kum Thai -- called on the Supreme Court to review the decision, but the five sitting judges, headed by Supreme Court president David Neuberger, on Wednesday dismissed the challenge.

Lawyer Michael Fordham, representing the families, had earlier told the court that his clients hoped to "vindicate the legitimate interests of the deceased, in order to achieve justice, before they die themselves".

The legal team referred to Article 2 of the European Convention on Human Rights, the right to life, which it argued imposed a duty on Britain to hold an independent inquiry.

However, the government argued that the Human Rights Act "does not have retrospective effect and does not impose an obligation to hold an inquiry into deaths occurring several decades before it came into force".

If succesful, the challenge could have opened the door to demands for Britain's to investigate historical cases involving its troops, including during the Northern Irish conflict known as The Troubles.

The case also examined whether Britain had any legal responsibility for the soldiers' actions, and if so whether that ceased upon Malaysian independence in 1957.
The ethnic Chinese labourers were killed after British soldiers entered the Batang Kali rubber plantation about 30 kilometres (20 miles) north of Kuala Lumpur, rounding up and interrogating villagers.The communist rebels in what was then called Malaya were predominantly ethnic Chinese, who had begun arriving in Malaya in the early 20th century to work as labourers.
The British government at the time said that the villagers were suspected insurgents and were shot when they tried to escape, but lawyers for the families argue the men may have been deliberately executed.
The killings have been referred to as "Britain's My Lai" after the infamous Vietnam War massacre by US troops, and Britain's Ministry of Defence has called it a "deeply regrettable incident".
The massacre was largely forgotten until 1970 when a British newspaper ran an explosive account of the killings, publishing sworn affidavits by soldiers admitting they had killed in cold blood.
The guerrilla war left thousands dead and only formally ended with the signing of a 1989 peace treaty with the Malayan Communist Party.

Tuesday, November 24, 2015

A member sacked... and no Muhyiddin

No telling is needed, many believe she knows why!

Hamidah Osman, the Umno Gopeng women’s wing division chief, who was sacked and stripped of her party membership today, said she had yet to receive formal notification of the matter.

She said she had only heard about the sacking from rumours but had not received the news from any party official.

“I don’t know for sure but I have been told that (about the sacking) by others,” she said when contacted this evening.

She said she will hold a press conference on the matter at a later time.

(A few hours prior to the meeting, Supreme Council member Ismail Sabri Yaakob said there was no agenda to sack any members).

The sacking and revocation was announced by Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak following the party’s Supreme Council meeting at Parliament this evening.

Najib said this was done with regards to disciplinary matters in which the Supreme Council unanimously agreed to sack Hamidah Osman from her post and the party.

“Other matters were discussed, too, but no decisions were reached,” Najib said at the press conference after the meeting.

Hamidah previously had been critical of Najib’s administration and had urged the Prime Minister, who is also Umno president, to step down, apart from also raising issues on the 1Malaysia Development Berhad (1MDB).

Commenting more on the reason why the Supreme Council meeting this time was held at Parliament, Najib said it was because the Dewan Rakyat was still sitting.

“We are having this meeting in Parliament because we need to be near the Dewan in case there is a call for a block vote,” Najib said, adding that this was not something uncommon as the Opposition had also done it before.

And for the first time ever, no international dialogue - held at each and every general assembly - will not make into the agenda this year.

Also, deputy president Muhyiddin Yassin 'will be absent' from officiating the Wanita, Youth and Puteri wings.

Also read Umno meet in Parliament to avoid 1998 riot?

Of MACC and NFCorp...

This is what the MACC said today, in clarifying accusations that it was using that RM2.6 billion from the Prime Minister's private account to pay for compensations and rewards.

Not only that it issued a statement to deny it but also has lodged a police report to clear its name.
The Malaysian Anti Corruption Commission (MACC) has denied rumours that the commission is using the RM2.6bil from the Prime Minister’s private account to pay for compensations and rewards.In a statement on Tuesday, MACC said they were aware of the allegations being spread on social media about them.“Claims were made that MACC is paying for its rewards and compensations with the RM2.6bil from another case being investigated by the commission.“We would like to stress that the commission never announced about  RM2.6bil (US$700mil) from Datuk Seri Najib Razak's private account being declared as a contribution to be paid to Malaysians who are committed to fighting terrorism,” said the statement adding that the information being disseminated was false.MACC added that a police report has been lodged and hoped for the Malaysian Communications and Multimedia Commission(MCMC) to investigate the spread of the false information.“This affects the image of MACC, so we call for all those who receive the information to not be influenced by it.“We also ask the public to not forward or spread such information via text messages or social media platforms,” said the statement.
Opsss... by the way, Rafizi Ramli of PKR, I believe, is all disappointed with the court verdict that the National Feedlot Corp boss Dr Mohd Salleh Ismail has committed no crime at all.

The Kuala Lumpur sessions court presided by judge Puan Nursharidah Awang today completely acquitted and discharged Dr Mohd Salleh of all criminal charges in view of the decision of the Attorney-General who has decided to drop the charges after considering the facts, evidence and merits of the case, and the recommendation of the Court of Appeal of 28 August 2015 which was brought by way of a representation letter to the AG.

Read Rocky's Bru NFCorp: No CBT, No Misappropriation of Loans, No Nothing... 

The police will surely investigate the 'slander' on the MACC, and let's see if the likes of Rafizi are made to chew their own tongue!

Monday, November 23, 2015

'Sorry' no cure!

You are saying that you don't know Jacel Kiram?

Gosh, Tian Chua. You must be kidding. Nurul also was not aware that the lady beside her in the photograph is Jacel?

After all the publicity given to her and her 'terrorist family', you maintain that both of you didn't know her at all?
Batu MP Tian Chua has said that both he and PKR vice-president Nurul Izzah Anwar regret the uneasiness caused by the pictures taken with Jacel Kiram during their trip to the Philippines but he maintains that they were unaware that they were taking the pictures with the self-styled Sulu princess.Chua said that both he and Nurul were simply acting in accordance with the common practice of taking pictures with all parties when attending international conferences and that they did not realise who they were taking the photograph with.
The MP also claimed that the issue of sovereignty was being politicised and that political parties should instead be united with regards to the issue of protecting the nations territorial integrity.
And today, he slammed Deputy Prime Minister Datuk Seri Ahmad Zahid Hamidi for naming him as the man responsible for the meeting between PKR's Nurul Izzah Anwar and Sulu representative Jacel Kiram.
Calling it baseless, he said Ahmad Zahid should retract his statement.
"That was a baseless argument and does not bring any positive image to the country," he said.
"He cannot come out with a statement without any evidence. As what was explained by Nurul Izzah, both of us were in the Philippines following invitations by several parties from that country."
Why should Zahid retract his accusation when meeting in the Philippines was arranged before the visit? Are you saying that you went there and met Jacel and her team without prior appointment?
And now after Malaysians, especially the Sabahans have expressed their disappointment over the matter, both you finally say how you regretted it.
“We regret that this has cause uneasiness among the people and Nurul Izzah has already apologised to the families of the victims, so why are we playing up his issue?” asked Chua
Nobody is playing up the issue. Your 'hard to say I am sorry' attitude has sparked anger among peace-loving Malaysians. Your buddy Teressa Kok is another dumb head for calling it 'an old issue'.
What about Teoh Beng Hock issue you've been crying aloud for? A new issue?
Earlier, Deputy Prime Minister Ahmad Zahid Hamidi had stated that Chua had been the person who arranged the meeting and that he was also responsible for contacting the Sulu sultanate.
Jacel is the daughter of self-styled Sulu Sultan Jamalul Kiram III who ordered 200 members of his “Royal Sulu Army” to invade Lahad Datu in February 2013 to stake his claim over Sabah.

And how do Sabahans react to it? Read this, Tian Chua and Nurul!
Nurul Izzah Anwar's explanation on her photograph with Sulu princess Jacel Kiram has failed to appease Sabah politicians, with several leaders expressing disbelief that a leader of her stature would associate with an individual whose family was responsible for the 2013 Lahad Datu invasion that killed 15 Malaysians.The most outspoken of the disgruntled leaders was Sabah Progressive Party (SAPP) President Datuk Yong Teck Lee, who suggested the PKR vice-president be banned from the State if she doesn't apologise and promise never to offend Sabahans again.
He said Jacel, the daughter of the late self-styled former Sulu Sultan Jamalul Kiram III, has on her family name, openly made a claim over Sabah.
"Why would a Malaysian MP show tacit support to Jacel Kiram who is well known for her campaign to claim Sabah for the Philippines?
"It is impossible that Nurul did not know about Jacel's election platform to claim Sabah using her family name on behalf of the Philippines. She is a high profile senatorial candidate closely linked to the incumbent Vice-President of the Philippines. She cannot be that ignorant," said Yong when contacted.